Lee Joon Gi - Vogue Korea July Interview Part 1

  • Fan of the original Criminal Minds
I had watched this interesting drama a long time ago, although I cannot be labelled as a fan.  The original work is well loved by many fans so I am excited about doing this project, but at the same time I feel some pressure. The Korean version has to be seen in a new perspective. The American version is focused on investigation but the Korean version has many more areas of content, if we are not careful it may be overdone, but it looks different, hence I have to keep analyzing and think during filming.

  • Your character Kim Hyun Joon seems to have no equivalent among the original characters. 
Hyun Joon is a character that does not exist in the original drama. He a member of the NCI special investigation team. In contrast to other members, he develops as a profiler. In many of my works, I portrayed characters that develop and grow, however in this drama, the viewers will get to know the other members through Hyun Joon.
  • It seems that "Criminal Minds" will be able to bring out your acting skills.
Every time when I am filming a new work, I will hear "This work is the great combination acting of Lee Joon Gi" (laugh), so it seems that I have been trying various types of acting.

  • You had ever chosen Son Hyun Joo as one of the actors you respect, how did you feel when you meet him for the first time?
I first met him over a drink, I told him " After hearing sunbae is acting in this project, I have decided to act in it" Sunbae said " Dont lie" (laugh). However he is really one of the reasons that I decided to participate in this project. I always look forward to having chemistry with other actors. Previously, when I felt that I improved on my acting, most of the time, it was when I worked well with various sunbaes (seniors).

Senior Son has advised newcomers to "act according to your own method, why must you pulled back and think otherwise because of other's opinions, the character you create is the one and only one in the world" I feel that he trusts the actors. He will also encourage us to get one more drink, it seems like he gets along well with drinks. I find that he make use of drinking sessions well, he doesn't say "Let's drink today and be merry". After a sip, he will let us talk about the difficulties we faced in our development. For me, I do like to chat over such matters after drinking. (laugh), senior Son is not the type to go for 2nd or 3rd round of drinking. For the first round, he will drink till 10pm. A few days ago, we had a gathering, both of us got drunk first, the rest of the people drank bit by bit. For the two of us, we bottoms up glass after glass, so both of us often drank till we passed out (laugh).

  • In the American drama,  there were actors who got too immerse in the project and felt down leaving the work. Did you have any such mental difficulties up until now?
When I looked back at "Two Weeks", I was suffering both physically and mentally. It was similar with "Time between Dog and Wolf". I became very sensitive. I am the sort that always joke around on set, but for these two works, it wasn't that easy. This time round I am not the only lead, so it should be better. I am really looking forward to this project. I actually like this sort of acting, to be immersed to such a great extent, I feel it seems like real acting. (laugh) So I acted in many very difficult projects.

  • It appears that you are interested in characters who are ordinary men caught deep in difficulties and adverse situations.
Most actors like such characters? But I like them to a disturbing extent. I feel satisfied giving hopes to viewers through a character's history. Although being an actor is an occupation, but I am doing this with an artistic attitude. I am not saying I am a borned artist or I have artistic talents, but in order to do what I wish to do, I make an effort, and in this process, I will certainly meet difficulties and obstacles and have to overcome them one by one. These thoughts are my motto in life. I think I managed to keep to this motto till now.

  • Why do you think you are not endowed with natural talent
If I am a born actor, I will only have to analyse the character for one or two days, but I usually have to think about them for a week to half month. Only to such extent then am I able to satisfy the viewers, so it is not easy.

  • What are the efforts you referring to?
Learning.  To develop myself by learning and then at a certain point I can be immersed in the work. Even at the film set, not only do I spend time on myself, I prepare everything from start till the end because only when the film set becomes a playground then I can display my acting at will.

  • Method acting and natural acting is another theory?
For me, in the beginning, I start with method acting, then it will transform later into something that comes out from my heart. That's why I am always tensed, I will put in 2 or 3 times more preparation efforts versus others. When my acting is recognized, I feel good - Oh actually I can do it!

  • Achieving recognition from action scenes, is it a natural talent?

That is also achieved by persistent preparation. When I first decided to be an actor, I didnt have anything. Every day I will want to learn something, at that time I started to learn about Action. As time past, I saw the fruits of it. Many people around me said that I am a borned actor, I dont feel that way. Every time I enter a new film set,  it is like filming for the first time again. Due to past experience, I could easily fit in, however usually before the first filming, I have a sleepless night. That stressful feeling is the same as in the past, I am not making it up.

Translated from Weibo Jiaohuimeimeicons' Chinese translation

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marie Claire Korea July

Vogue Korea July Interview Part 2